Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Member Spotlight: Janneke


This week, I'm excited to feature Janneke, a very involved member of our guild - and she also happens to be Vice President. She's always doing the challenges and swaps, and always has something interesting to contribute!

Tell us a little about yourself! 
I grew up in the Netherlands,married a Dutch guy and moved to England and then the USA. I have three kids ranging in age from 11 to 22, one in UK,one in college and one at home.

How long have you been a quilter, and why did you start?
I have been sewing and creating from a very young age,because thats what all kids do in the Netherlands. I started quilting when we moved to the States 16 years ago. I started to get to know people.


Which of the quilts you have made is your all-time favorite? Tell us why and what it means to you.
My "house" quilt is my favorite because it combined different techniques I learned over the years. I included favorite fabrics and handmade buttons (my then 5 year old made them) I will never sell this one or give it away.


 How would you describe your style?
My style is colorful,whimsy and as I have been told....typical Janneke,whatever that means. I love just the process of sewing,picking out fabric and never just copy a pattern. I always add something of me in it.

What else do you enjoy sewing, besides quilts?


I love creating fabric art, three dimensial, jewelry, homedecorations, mini wall collages.


'Fess up. How many WIPs (work in progress) do you have right now?
Too many to count, between 20 and 30.


What project are you working on right now?
To escape the busy summerhousehold I set up my machine in the basement(guest took over my sewing room) and are basting a lot of quilts.I am also preparing handwork to take on my plane trip to the Netherlands and I have a handquilting lap quilt for the evenings when I want to relax.

Thanks Janneke! More member spotlights to follow on our blog and in our meetings!
-Jess S.