Everyone is familiar with quilts, but what exactly is modern quilting? For some answers, here are excerpts from the resource materials on the Modern Quilt Guild site.
MODERN QUILTING PHILOSOPHY
• Modern quilting embraces a “no rules” concept.
• Modern quilting emphasizes freedom in how to construct quilts.
• Modern quilting respects the dogma of traditional quilting, but doesn’t always follow it.
• Modern quilting is about the journey, rather than how you get there.
• Number one rule: be nice! Modern quilting is personal expression.
MODERN QUILTING DESIGN ELEMENTS
• Use of negative space
• No borders
• Bright and graphic color palettes
• Improvisational piecing
• Grid work
• Modern traditionalism
• Exaggerated scale
• Less is more
Modern Quilt Guild members can access additional information on the MQG Community Resources page after they are logged in to the MQG site.