Friday, March 20, 2015

April QAL BOM: "Bordered Star"





This month, we get to play with half square triangles (HSTs) and flying geese!



When making flying geese and half square triangles I stitch just outside my drawn line to create that "scant" area so when the fabric is ironed to the outside it lines up perfectly (or so it works for me....  your experience may vary).


 
For the flying geese, I always throw them under the ruler once stitched to check the dimensions tweaking (NOT to be confused with twerking) if necessary before moving on.

For the Center Block HSTs: Once you trim the dog ears you will have a 2 1/2" square.
 
In this block I carefully considered which direction my seams were ironed.  I decided before making the first block in this series that I want to uniquely quilt each one.  To that end I want my colored areas to pop with ditch quilting before I add the detail.  Ironing the seams toward the dark whenever possible sets the stage for the quilting process I have in mind.


Do you have a general quilting plan yet?  An all over design?  Different details for each block?  Same details for each block?  Quilting by checkbook?  It's never too early to start tossing some ideas around.

Quilt on!


-Neva