It was awesome seeing everyone back from a long and productive summer! Wait until you see all the show and tell there was... :) Not all pictures are included in the post due to space. Just FYI. :)
-Meetings will now start with social time from 6:30-7! No obligation to come, but this is a great time to catch up with friends, get to know others, and shop at PQW.
- CJMQG exhibit at Pennington Farmer's Market - 8am setup, 9-1 at Rosedale Mills on Route 31 (a couple minutes from Pennington Quilt Works) - members can bring a modern quilt to show, a chair, and handwork (if you wish) while we share our craft with the community! Sign up here. I'll be going to the Courthouse Quilter's Show (below) afterwards, if you'd like to come with!
- Courthouse Quilter's Show (Quilts in the Mill) - Oct. 3-5, 10am - 5pm, Prallsville Mills, Route 29, Stockton, NJ - see bottom of this page for more info
- Mid-Atlantic Mod Registration - around Nov. 1 - see here for more info and the call for instructors! The retreat will be in Lancaster (Doubletree Hotel) from Apr. 23-26.
- November Retreat- Hyatt House in Bridgewater, NJ. As of 9/13, 10 out of 20 spots have filled. This retreat is now open to guests, too! Please email the account if you need Kristina's address (where you will forward your room payment of $50 - for guests this payment is $70).
- On Saturday, volunteers will be offering short, free classes for how to make handmade Christmas gifts (for example: folded star ornament, voile or lawn infinity scarf, etc.) We are taking teacher volunteers, and a supply list will be available before the retreat if you are interested in attending. You can participate in all, some, or none - your choice! :)
- To reserve a hotel room, we have a special rate available until 10/6 - (6 one bedroom suites @ $107 a night + tax and 4 two bedroom suites @ $164 a night + tax) - all have king sized beds with 1 pull out couch per suite. Please email the account for info or, if you are in the guild, check the Bigtent invite for how to reserve your room.
- Charity quilts for the Center for Great Expectations are due at the October meeting! Please machine bind for stability and quilt densely (straight lines are fine, too).
- Enter the QuiltCon quilt show by Nov. 30!!
- QuiltCon Charity Quilt Challenge - the Modern Quilt Guild has challenge individual guilds to make quilts based on this color palette:
(picture from MQG blog)
I am designing a quilt with alternate gridwork in mind, and members have signed up to make blocks by November. You will receive fabric in October with more info!
-To start, each person shared what they think might be their "specialty" in sewing. We asked this question over a year ago and it was fun to hear the responses!
-We discussed Jacquie Gering's August visit to our guild, and members who attended the Slice and Insert workshop showed their progress since then. You can see more about the lecture/trunk show here and the workshop here. We absolutely loved hosting Jacquie for the weekend jointly with the Philly MQG!
–We presented Cala with a surprise quilt for her baby daughter!
Pattern/free tutorial here by Dani Miller, pieced by members, pieced together, basted, and bound by Amy B., quilted by Jessica L.
Demo: Susan Flick taught us how to make a snap bag. These are so cute and versatile! You could make a whole bunch for the holidays. Susan provided us with paper instructions to take home as well. Thanks!
- 2nd round of the CJMQG Bee – Amy received her blocks! This one was from Lee:
-Fall Mug Rug Swap - members who made mug rugs (or snack mats/small wall hangings) for the fall participated in a blind swap. It's always so neat to see what everyone comes up with!
-Show and Tell
Miggie shared her Michael Miller challenge quilt:
Susan shared her charity quilts:
Janneke had two finishes as well!:
And, last but certainly not least, our guest Nicole shared this beauty:
-We moved our discussion on scraps to our next meeting.
-Thanks, as always, to Carol Esch for pictures, Amy Blanchard and hospitality for treats and Kathleen Stanish for the minutes!
Tuesday, October 14, 7-9:30 pm (6:30 optional social/shop time)
Pennington Quilt Works, Pennington, NJ
- Swap: The Great Fabric Trade – destash – bring your fabric/books/notions to trade, barter, or sell. Bring small bills (use money at your own discretion - cash only!) Please limit what you bring to an amount that could fit right in front of you on a table. :) This has the potential to become a large, exciting, and annual event!
- Discussion: Scraps (using them and organization)
- Challenge: Make a scrap quilt using at least 30 fabrics
- Hand in all charity quilts
- Receive fabric for Jessica Levitt's challenge (Cascade from Windham Fabrics) plus fabric for QuiltCon Charity Quilt block
- 2nd round of Bee
- Share Guild QAL blocks (Modern Mondays)
- Show and Tell