Sunday, September 7, 2014

Blogging tips

Here are some of the tips I discussed at the August meeting. As I mentioned there, I would not consider myself a blogging expert. These are tidbits I've picked up along the way as a blogger of 4 years (the banner below leads you to my site if you're interested). Enjoy!

Quilty Habit


Info about blogging: A blog (like this!) is a website where you can journal and share pictures. Blogs are credited with the boom that started "modern quilting" but they have since transformed a bit. I see blogs used for two reasons now: education and community. Bloggers write about their projects and techniques of quilting. They also  create places for their readers to interact, such as linky parties (you link your blog to theirs so others can see), contests, and more. Today, Instagram, a phone app, is a place where you see a lot of what people make, and some go into more detail on their blogs. Instagram has become more prominent in the last year or so due to its quick and easy nature, but blogs still hold more content and info.

If you are looking to start a blog or improve one you have, here's what I suggest:

  1. Try Blogger.com to start if you don't know HTML. It's really easy to start a blog and formatting really isn't difficult. If you have any questions and you'd like some help, I'd be happy to. I only suggest Blogger because it's what I'm most familiar with, but I've heard good things about Typepad and Wordpress, too.
  2. Blog for you and no one else. This is really important. It's fun to get people to follow you, write, and to show off your work, but if you don't like to blog, it will be a chore. If you are committed, find a system that works for you. Which brings me to my next point:
  3. Get involved! There are lots of linky parties that you can plan your blogging around. Then, you link up (copy and paste your post URL) onto the respective website on that day. You will find posts to read and other readers/bloggers will find you. We have quite an active community! Here are some of the most popular ones :
  1. Start out writing all you can think of, then edit it down. I like to write posts in my spare time and then schedule or save them for later. Write when you are inspired!
  2. Take great pictures. This can be hard depending on when you do the majority of your quilting and the resources you have, BUT, you can take good pictures with a phone these days.  If you want to emphasize your finished quilts, take them to scenic places to photograph them. You can also find a nice brick wall to take them by (I use the side of my apartment building on a regular basis). Brave the snow or visit a new park. Take your quilts to the city or beach. The natural light will enhance your photograph and make your post all the more attractive. There are some more photo tips on Bijou Lovely that you might enjoy.
  3. Ask for help and collaborate. Again, feel free to ask!

I hope this is helpful!

-Jess S.