At our April 10th meeting, we first shared our favorite traditional quilt patterns. Unfortunately, I missed the beginning, but I'm sure there was a great variety mentioned. It's so interesting how traditional patterns can be warped (or not even so warped at all!) to be part of the modern movement. It all has the same roots!
- Please keep up with the Big Tent group and RSVP to meetings so we know how many people to expect!
- If you would like to teach a 10-20 minute demo/lesson, please contact Jessica Levitt - you will get a $10 gift card to Pennington Quilt Works (our gracious hosts).
- Denyse Schmidt is confirmed for speaking Friday, June 22 in Philly at 7pm, workshop is Sun. June 24, 11:00-4:00 in Pennington. Cost is approximately $150, deposit is $75. Email Jessica L. - though there may not be many spots left at this point.
If you have a blog suggestion, leave it in the comments!
First, we had our half-square triangle swap - lots of participation! Hopefully those will be used to meet one of the challenges for May (we're getting there...)
Next, we had an applique demonstration with our very own Liz Hawkins of LizzieB Cr8ive. (Liz has a great website - check out her patterns to make some of the quilts below.)
Liz wowed us with her applique quilts.
Can you believe this quilt is all applique?
Then, we worked in pairs to applique flowers, using Liz's approach to the needleturn method. We used very small (and some, very hot) irons and lots of spray starch.
Liz also showed us how she hand sews all of the layers together with nearly invisible thread. Amazing! I don't think I'm alone in saying that this was an enjoyable and very informative demonstration. Thanks, Liz!
Finally, we had show and tell...
Gorgeous quilts/fabrics, as usual!
Tuesday, May 8th at 7pm
Pennington Quilt Works, Ewing, NJ
Discussion: Bring your favorite sewing or quilting book
Challenges (there's 2!):
1. Use your 1/2 square triangles however you see fit
2. Make a mini quilt (less than 24" in any direction)
(potentially, you could make a HST mini quilt) :)
See you there!